Oh, young grasshopper. Do I have helpful information for you? As a personal stylist, I'm always chatting with female clients about what is flattering for their body types. As a woman, I'm always chatting with, well plenty of other women, about what is flattering for their body types. With bathing suit season upon us, the eternal questions surrounding flattering swimsuits are back in the mix.
So, today, Dear Reader, we're going to go beyond my general swimsuit guidance by body type into a very specific need- the need for the perfect swim top. Here we go!
What You Need to Know when you shop for a Bathing Suit Top.
If you are busty
- Always search for swim tops that are sized by cup size rather than small, medium, large. This ensures that you'll have the appropriate amount of coverage.
- Look for thicker straps, underwire (if that works for you) and heavy duty stitching for maximum support. Bra-like, adjustable straps rather than halter tops are most comfortable and avoid tugging on the neck.
- A strong clasp in the back is essential to ensure you feel secure in your suit.
- If you want to minimize the bust, try darker or solid colors and criss cross detail.
- A well made suit will treat you right. I'd recommend one for sunbathing or socializing and another for active summer sports. To save money, you can find one bikini bottom that works for both to mix and match.
If you aren't particularly busty
- A bandeau top draws attention to your neck and collarbone, as well as your posture. So, make sure you are standing up straight.
- If you contrast your top half using prints, colors or embellishments, with the bottom, you determine what part of your body will be getting the most attention. That means, wearing bottoms with added detail draws the attention away from your bust. Emphasize your top half by wearing bathing suit tops with bright colors, prints or embellishments. Ruffles, hardware and fringe (so on trend) can do wonders.
- Padding is your friend.
Like what you see on the site? Please remember to click on items directly on poplin style.com when you decide to buy, as Poplin may receive a commission on your purchase. Thanks for supporting Poplin!